Thursday, February 27, 2020

Portfolio Update - January 2020


Portfolio Update - January 2020

Today I am sharing my portfolio at the end of January 2020. This blog was written two weeks ago. I was very busy in the last few days so at the current situation of the market the prices of the stocks has a big difference. I will update my current portfolio as soon as possible. As of January I was holding 33 stocks. This month I have sold all of my positions in L Brands (LB). I sold them at $23.4 at the end of January which I bought at $17.4 in November 2019. I got 35% profit in just 2 months of holding. The chart below shows my current portfolio and sector distribution of the portfolio.


The pie chart below shows diversity. The chart indicates a well-diversified portfolio with Apple (AAPL) is my highest position. I bought them in December 2018 and since then it keep increasing. My other top holdings are JP Morgan (JPM) 5.9%, Home Depot (HD) 5.6%, Abbvie (ABBV) 5%, and J&J (JNJ) 4.8%. 

The sector distribution of my portfolio is shown in the following pie chart. The sectors are based on Yahoo finance. My highest position is in the consumer sector with 19.9% (combined). My next large sectors are the technology, financial, and health sectors with 16% each.



I always update my trades in the tipranks website. The figure below compares my portfolio performance against the S&P 500. Most of the cases my portfolio beats the market.

My performance as a portfolio manager is also good. I am ranked 725 out of 23,372 investors which is in the top 3%. My portfolio has gained 69% since I started to invest in the market in 2017 and my sharp ratio is 3.04 while the average is only 0.99. The sharpe ratio is "A measure of your returns and associated risk you take on compared to returns of risk-free assets".


My 12 month returns (TTM) is 30.84% while the YTD return is 7.97%. At the time of writing of the blog the market tumbled almost 10%. So this chart does not count the last 2 days drop.




The meter below shows my projected income in terms of dividends. On 31st January 2020, my projected income through were $1214.38. I have accomplished my first target of earning $100 monthly through dividends. My dividend income increased 3.4% compared to the last month. I have added some oil stocks in this month such as British Petroleum (BP), Chevron (CVX), and Exxon Mobil (XOM). All the oil stocks are down big and I am bullish about the future outlook of this sector. On the other hand I have sold my positions in Gaps (GPS) and L Brands (LB). I have got some nice profit from these two stocks in just 2 months of investment.


My current Yield on cost is 3.78% while my current portfolio yield is 2.99%. Because I am investing in dividend growth stocks so my YOC will continue to grow with time while the current yield depends with the market volatility. The yield will go up when the market is down and the vice versa.



The following figure shows the comparison of my current yield and the YOC with time. My YOC is higher than the current yield because of the bullish market. For longer term, if I keep investing in dividend growth stocks, my YOC will keep growing with time.


The following chart shows my growth in projected annual income with time. It is slowly but steadily increasing and this month it reached to my first goal of earning $100 per month.


The table below summarizes the dividends that I received in January 2020. This month I have received $62.34. My highest paying dividend paying for this part of the quarter is from Jp Morgan Chase ($16.24).


The following table shows the detailed performances of my portfolio. The current prices are based on January 31st 2020. So the prices do not reflect the current price in the market. In the chart, I shared my current positions, annual income that I will receive in a year, total recieved dividends from the companies, and finally the gain or loss for each company. Please note that I have added the total dividends received to calculate the gain or loss for each company. The top 3 stocks in terms of gain are Mastercard (MA), Microsoft (MSFT), and Apple (AAPL).



1 comment: